So, as all of us ladies know, Valentine’s Day is coming up quickly! For a lot of women, that involves a pretty piece of lingerie, rose petals, wine, chocolate covered strawberries, etc. 

Most of the time, my husband and I get a cool hotel room, themed or special somehow, and relax for a couple days. This year, however, work has been slow to nonexistent the past few months, so money is not a luxury we have at the moment (as evidenced by my excitement in finding a cheap casserole we eat almost every night lol). So…this year, Valentine’s must be on a budget. I love planning fun surprises for my Love, it’s not really his forte to plan those kinds of things, and I don’t mind being the planner, because he enjoys the surprises so much, it makes it all worth it, just to see his eyes light up. 🙂

So! There will be several posts about Valentine’s on a budget! 

This first one, I debated even sharing because of the personal nature, but I was searching high and low for DIY lingerie ideas, and I came up with little to no help, so I decided to put this out there. Now, keep in mind, there were intricate patterns available, with advanced techniques. I am NOT a seamstress. I like to mess around with basic sewing, but even some of the most basic techniques I’m not familiar with, and have to find out or be told what to do/not to do. Lol

So I hope for those of you like me, this is helpful. I was amazed to find that while this took an entire day to make, it was relatively easy, and probably only cost me about $10-15 at the absolute most to make. Maybe even closer to $5-10! At any rate, even $15 is gobs cheaper than $80+ for Victoria’s Secret, and while those are super nice and detailed, the idea is to just have a simple pretty little piece to look nice in for an evening, so I’m happy!

Ok, here goes!

Items I used:

Sewing machine

Serger (optional)

Seam ripper (optional)

Rotary cutter & mat (optional, can use fabric scissors instead)

Sewing pins

Iron and ironing board

Tape measure

Materials:

Approx 1/2-1 yard of material for bottom part, I used a sheer polka dot fabric

Approx. 1/4-1/2 yard satin for cups and straps

Scraps of lining material for cups (I had some already)

Lace (however wide around your rib cage is, I used stretchy lace, but since this ties, you could use plain lace)

Black thread

Instructions
:

I started with the cups, by using a swim suit top and cutting approx. half that size and shape from lining fabric. I cut 4 (2 sets of 2).

   

Pin together and sew along the curved edge:

   

   
The result is a nice cup. Try it on to make sure it fits. You can also try the pattern with scrap fabric until you find the right fit, then use as your pattern piece.

    

I cut an extra piece before sewing to use as a pattern in case it fit, and used that to cut 4 pieces of satin: 

  
  
Pin right sides of satin together and sew again along curved edge.

  
Then take the lining cups and satin cups, put right sides together, and sew along all but bottom edge. (Hindsight is 20/20, and after finishing, I know now that I would’ve made straps and sewn them inside at this stage, so they would’ve looked and felt much nicer to wear)

    

  
  

Turn right side out when done and iron:

    

I was being lazy and just serged everything together, but realized the seams were very loose, so I had to go back and sew everything with a nice tight seam lol.

    

Serge the bottom of the cups (after they’re right side out again):

    
  

Nicely lined cups!

   
Cut two ties for front, stitch and serge edges:

  

 
Turn them inside out and press (this was a bit tricky for me lol). The second one you can see isn’t pressed yet: 

  
Next, pin the lace to the ties, and since mine were slightly different sizes (I didn’t want the ties as wide as my lace), I pinned a little fold in the lace:

  
  

     
 
  

I sewed these carefully, and had to hand-crank the wheel in the middle to make sure to get that fold nicely sewn:

    

  

  
   
 
I cut the front a bit rounded, but I didn’t realize it was wayyyy too long, so I hemmed the whole thing and had to go back and chop stuff off and re-do it! 😖  
 This is my hem, just serged and stitched:
    

  
 I sewed the sheer fabric onto the elastic lace, stretching as I went, then stitched with a straight stitch on the right side, because I felt it laid better:

    

Then I added the cups:

    

  

My afterthought straps lol:

  

 
I stitched in two places in the back, since the elastic was pretty thin:

     

Here is how the bow looks tied:

       

The finished product:

 
  
 
I paired it with a cute satin robe for Valentine’s Day lounging:

  

I love my cute hang-it-up pocket from Thirty-One! It’s perfect for lingerie, I can put matching panties or whatever else I want in it. 🙂 Check it out on http://www.mythirtyone.com/jessbruner (search hang-it-up pocket)

I hope this helps some of you who are sewing-challenged like me, but still want to try some simple projects! 🙂 

Advertisements