I love ribs. My husband and I used to have date nights occasionally at Texas Roadhouse where we would splurge on ribs, because they have the best, fall-off-the-bone BBQ ribs I’ve ever sunk my teeth into. Mmmm! But…with my gluten allergy, I cannot eat there, since they don’t cook their foods separately. I’m so sensitive to cross-contamination, that I’ve become extremely hesitant to trust anyone with making my food. So when we got our instant pot, I was SO excited to try ribs in it, after it made our cheap stew meat unbelievably tender and delicious. I still had kind of low hopes, because ribs are so hard to get anywhere close to 3-day-cooked restaurant ribs lol. Our first attempt started with a recipe that said cook for 20 minutes. FAIL. They were cooked, for sure, but not delicious or tender, by any stretch of the imagination. So…after releasing pressure, then adding more time, releasing, adding… we finally had edible meat, but it took several hours of trying lol. So, the next time I decided about 55 minutes would probably be good, so I tried that, and VOILA! They were falling off the bone, I literally had to be extremely careful when taking them out of the pot! Haha! The one part of the recipe I kept was this rub, but we tweaked it a smidge.
By the way, we got our ribs at Costco, and the pack was like $20 for enough for both my husband and I to have PLENTY LARGE ENOUGH servings for 2 meals! I was so pleased, we added mashed potatoes and veggies for a complete meal, and it was so much cheaper than a restaurant meal! We literally had two restaurant meals at home for about the price of one at a nice restaurant! Not to mention, my husband loves these, and it made me feel awesome that I made them! 😉
So, without further ado, here is our new, all-time favorite recipe for Instant Pot ribs!!
Sweet and Spicy rub (see recipe below)
1/4 cup marsala wine
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup BBQ sauce of your choice (my husband loves Sweet Baby Ray’s, so that’s what is in this)
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp brown sugar (can add more or less to your liking)
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp pepper
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Mix sweet & spicy rub ingredients together in a bowl. If you don’t use all of it, you can save the rest for next time (because YES, there will be a next time lol)!
3. Place ribs in Instant Pot (ok to layer, but I try to offset them a bit).
4. Add marsala wine and water to base of Instant Pot, and cover ribs with BBQ sauce (add more if you love BBQ sauce!)
5. Cover with lid, turn valve to “seal,” and cook on manual setting for 55 minutes.
6. When it’s finished, SLOW release. It’s worth it, I promise. Lol
7. Add more BBQ sauce, and serve! optionally, you can brush on some BBQ sauce, place ribs on a cookie sheet, and broil for a few minutes. We were starving, so we just ate as is, and had zero complaints lol.
It was seriously just falling off the bone. I didn’t have to eat or lick off anything from the bones! WHAT?!
This is definitely a game changer for us, we have been missing out on having ribs date night, so this is a fantastic but inexpensive way for us to have an awesome date night, and the ribs are even better, I dare say. 😉